When you are breastfeeding, a Boppy nursing pillow may be needed by you to support your baby. Not only giving comfort for your baby, it will also give comfort to you as a mom when you are breastfeeding your baby. However, did you know how to use a Boppy for breastfeeding your baby?
Read also: The 9 Best Pillows during Pregnancy
If this is your first time to have a baby or first time to use a boppy pillow, you may not know how to use a boppy for nursing so that you may need a tutorial for using it. You are able to read the steps below about using a boppy for nursing.
The Steps to Use a Boppy for Breastfeeding Your Baby
Here are the steps to use a Boppy for breastfeeding your baby.
- The first thing that you have to do is that you have find a comfortable place and sit there. It is better if you sit in an area where your back is supported well.
- After you find a comfortable place to sit, you have to put the Boppy on your lap and then wrap it around your waist.
- Now, you have to place your baby on their side on the Boppy where the baby faces your body.
- Make sure that the baby’s mouth should be even with the breast you plan to nurse from. If you do not do this, you can bring the baby to your breast by cradling the head of the baby and upper torso in your arm and letting your arm rest on the Boppy.
- And now, you are able to nurse your baby.
- When you are nursing your baby, don’t lower your torso or breast down to your baby. If you feel that the baby’s position is not high enough, you are able to raise them where it can be done by adding another pillow for support below the Boppy. Alternatively, you are able to lift them with your arms.
- If you want, the Boppy can also be used in conjunction with the football hold so that the baby will be positioned along the side of your body and their feet point to your back.
What is a Boppy Pillow?
After you know how to use a Boppy Pillow, now you may understand how to use it. However, did you know what a Boppy pillow actually is? A Boppy Pillow is a pillow for breastfeeding where this pillow has a C shape so that it can fit around a mom’s stomach to give support while nursing. However, actually this pillow cannot only be used for nursing, but also for other purposes such as tummy time, sitting aid, and pregnancy sleep. You can buy this pillow at Amazon for $45.
Some moms may think that they do not need this item, but actually this pillow can be very helpful because breastfeeding can be hard on the neck, back and shoulders. With this pillow, it is easy for moms to maintain a proper posture. So, having this pillow is important because moms and their babies will be comfortable during nursing.
If you worry about using this pillow because you are afraid that it is not safe, you do not have to worry about it. Using a Boppy pillow is safe, but make sure you use it properly. When you use it, you have to supervise your baby when you place him or her in or on the Boppy. Also, never permit your baby to sleep in or on a Boppy. If your baby falls asleep on it, you have to move the baby so that your baby is safe.