TikTok is one of the most popular apps. Its users are increasingly diverse. The number of users that continues to creep up is the users from among teenagers. For some parents, this phenomenon makes them worry about their children. To keep teenagers safe while playing TikTok, here we will share a TikTok guide specifically for parents. Through this guide, the parents will be better able to supervise their children when using TikTok.
Tips for Supervising Teenagers Who Use TikTok
Here are some tips for supervising teenagers who use TikTok:
1. Using TikTok’s Parental Control Feature
Apparently, TikTok has provided a parental control feature called ‘Family Pairing.’ This feature will help the parents maintain specific privacy settings for their teenagers. Also, the parents can limit the time their children spend on TikTok.
Here is how to use the Family Pairing feature:
- Firstly, open TikTok app, then go to the ‘Me‘ tab.
- After that, click the three-dot menu at the top right of the app.
- This will open the ‘Settings and privacy‘ view.
- Please scroll down until you find the ‘Family Sharing‘ menu.
- Then, tap that menu.
- Click the ‘Continue‘ button.
- Please select the ‘Teen‘ option for teenagers.
- Lastly, click the ‘Next’ button and customize your child’s account.
2. Using Screen Time Management
You can use the ‘Screen Time Management‘ feature to limit the time your kids use TikTok.
Here is how to use Screen Time Management:
- Firstly, go to the ‘Settings‘ page.
- Pease scroll down and click ‘Digital Wellbeing & Screen Time Management.’
- After that, click on ‘Time Limit.’
- Now, choose the desired time limit; 40, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Then, click the back arrow.
- Next, tap the red ‘Turn on Screen Time Management‘ button at the bottom.
- You have to make a password and click ‘Next.’
- Finally, you only need to confirm the password you created earlier.
3. Enable Restricted Mode
Remember that when this restricted mode is enabled, then the parents can prevent inappropriate content from appearing on their child’s feed.
Here is how to enable restricted mode:
- Click ‘Digital Wellbeing.’
- Then, click ‘Restricted Mode.’
- Please click ‘Turn on Restricted Mode.’
After this feature is active, then a Restricted Mode label will appear at the top of the screen. In addition, if you find inappropriate content, just report it to TikTok.
Read also: How to Monitor Children’s Social Media Applications on Android Safely
4. Blocking Users
You can block the user if you find inappropriate accounts or content. Of course, this is to prevent them from appearing in your child’s feed. Simply, you can click on the profile picture of the account, click the three dots at the top right of the screen, and tap ‘Block.’ Once blocked, the account will not be able to send messages. Also, their content will not appear in the child’s feed.
So, is TikTok Safe for Teenagers?
TikTok also has usage risks like any social media. Therefore, teenagers should use TikTok with caution. If there is good supervision from the parents, we think teenagers will stay safe when using TikTok. Not all content on TikTok is damaging to the children. Moreover, currently, TikTok is testing the ‘Learn’ feature. With this feature, the children can play TikTok while learning.